Saturday, August 6, 2016

Why is Suicide Squad such an awesome Movie, yet critics are hating it?

I had my reservations while getting ready for the latest DC crazy. The critics had literally guillotined it and I was expecting another BvsS - I told you so. It took me some time to plan my Saturday but the Amex offer for Rs 100 off on a weekend was actually the clincher. I told myself for 100 bucks a 3D experience in a good hall in downtown Mumbai won't be a bad experience considering I don't spend any money on the popcorn and coke. So there I was 5:30 pm nervously expecting another fiasco made by your truly DC team. But I had faith on David Aiyer. I had watched all his movies and there was a voice in me, which kept on telling me - He can't do so many things wrong as the RT aggregate score kept rebuking me time and again - somehow drowning these two voices I settled down and then it began. It was after 2 and a half hours I realized I had made the best mistake of my life to drag myself out of my house through the rain soaked waterlogged streets of Mumbai to catch this evening showing with a cavalier audience. Suicide Squad was simply smashing fun!!!

Then I started thinking why are people hating this movie so much? 

And this article is just an attempt to try and understand that.

Firstly let me tell you a few things about audience psyche and type...

1) People who love movies but are not into comics.
2) People who love movies and comics but haven't known or read much of Suicide Squad.
3) People who love movies and comics and are crazy about Suicide Squad.
The first type of people will probably hate this movie because they don't get the verve and excitement of comics and to them - plot, storyline, screenplay and editing means much more than just having a good time!!!!

The second type of people will probably not hate this movie but may not love it like crazy either because they don't understand the tone and mood fo Suicide Squad stories. Usually, they are dark and conflicting and don't have straight black and white expositions.

The third type will just devour this movie and ask for more.

Have I addressed the raging bull in the China shop and then kicked the hornet's nest. Hope Not. Because I am just getting started.

Ok - let me start with the movie. There might be minor Spoilers nut nothing too extreme. Why is Suicide Squad such a good movie -

  1. Let's begin at the beginning - The titles - The movie begins with a riotous splash and flash of colors for every character which just tells you on your face - " Don't take me seriously - I am just timepass." It's so beautifully font-funned that in 3D it just makes you feel giddy with delight.
  2. Viola Davis as Amanda Weller straight out of the pages of the comic. You cannot help but marvel at the sinister way she goes about her job yet makes it seem so believable. Her act is top notch over the board brilliant!!!
  3. Will Smith as Deadshot is so good that you feel like yelling through the movie- WHEN ARE WE GETTING THE STANDALONE SOLO MOVIE WHERE YOU GO UP AGAINST BATMAN - I THINK THAT WOULD BE BETTER THAN BATSY TAKING ON SUPERMAN!!! There is one scene he takes on a horde of enchantress vilified zombies singlehandedly on the hood of a car. The crowd just went wild in that scene!!! He is simply superb!!!!
  4. Margot Robbie doesn't act - She is Harley Quinn. If Anthony Hopkins is Doctor Lecter and Jeremy Brett is Sherlock Holmes then she is the Clown Prince's girlfriend. You will just be bowled over by her lip smacking antics and one-liners. 
  5. Boomerang, El Diablo and Croc do well also with their roles but Jay Hernandez stands out with El Diablo's backstory and fire -pyrotechnics. 
  6. The backstories may seem rushed a little bit but it's required because we need a balance - they couldn't make a 4 and a half hour movie but the ones that matter have enough flesh and meat i.e. Deadshot, Harley Quinn and El Diablo. There is one scene in which Batman swoops down behind Deadshot, while he is walking home with his daughter. That scene is so epic and soul clutching - Its like the Good Guy is destroying a home - Yes Deadshot is bad but the emotional investment in that scene is weighed down so subtly and brilliantly. Harley's story with Mr J may seem uneven but its still great fun as we keep on looking forward to more scenes of him and her. El Diablo's story is quite tragic.  But they all are told. They may seem quick and fast and impersonal but in reality and its crisp and swift. 
  7. All the Acts are perfect except for the third act - it seemed a little out of the place but it was needed as you sometimes do need a weak third act to pull off a cracking climatic fourth act. I also felt the third act should have been edited better. Lot of key frames and scenes have been just dislodged without much though, which makes the movie seem a little problematic. I can guarantee the UNCUT version will correct all the faults. 
  8. The one liners are EPIC - I have no idea why they are being called lame!!! Deadshot and Harley Quinn just fire this movie up like anything. They should have shown their romance which is very much there in the comics. 
  9. The action and effects are quite good. It may not be the best action you have seen but its definitely not the worst. Its pretty good  
  10.  Some of the emotional moments of the supervillains are just so endearing. Watch out for the last scene of Deadshot with his kid explaining geometry as they wander back to guns, bullet- caliber and trajectory and windspeed. It was such a wonderful snappy moment as Flagg stops the Swat squad from disturbing Deadshot's time with his daughter.
  11. AND FINALLY THE SOUNDTRACK - THE SONGS ARE SO GOOD AS THEY PERVADE THE MOOD AND ATMOSPHERE OF THIS MOVIE FURTHER ACCENTUATING IT TO IONOSPHERIC HEIGHTS.
 WATCH AND forgive and forget RT for they bleat and talk and blunder and know not what they don't understand.

There is just one complaint and i.e. the editing - we wanted more of Suicide Squad and they mercilessly killed Joker's best parts as well as upset the momentum of the movie. Sometimes you need more frames and screen time to further accelerate and make a movie sink in on many more levels - that's where this movie went wrong because someone in DC studio went scissor happy. I hope Mr J shows him all his toys and we get the UNCUT VERSION soon!!!!

    

   

No comments:

Post a Comment